Sunridge Ski Area is located in the Strathcona Science Park, a provincial park on
the eastern edge of the City of Edmonton. While we overlook the City, we are actually
located in Strathcona County on the eastern slopes of the North Saskatchewan river
1880 - 1980 : Prior to 1900, the lands were used mostly for farming
and then coal mining, with over 3 million tons of coal extracted from the river
banks by both the Black Diamond Coal Mine and then by the Great West Coal Company.
In 1952, the area was used by the Glacier Sand and Gravel Ltd., to supply sand and
gravel to companies in the Edmonton area. In the 60's and 70's, parts of the site
were even used for landfill by both the City of Edmonton and Strathcona County.
1980 - 1988 : In 1980, as part of the 75th anniversary of the Province
of Alberta, the Strathcona Science Provincial Park was created which included a
small ski area on the northern portion of the park. The ski area originally consisted
of three TBars and a rope tow. In the first few years, the area was operated by
the Province, and then in 1983, it was contracted out to a local private firm and
was called the Hidden Ridge Ski Area.
1988 - 1999 : In 1988, the contract for the ski area was awarded
to Calido Recreation Management Inc. after the original operator went into receivership.
The ski area was renamed the Sunridge Ski Area, and planning for the expansion of
the ski area began.However, in 1993, as part of government budget constraints of
the time, the Province considered closing the Park and with it the ski area. Strathcona
County assumed temporary ownership of the ski area and continued to contract the
operation of the ski area to Calido Recreation on a year-to-year basis. Finally,
in 1999, the Province resumed full ownership of the area and entered into a long-term
contract with Calido Recreation. With this long-term contract, the expansion and
redevelopment of the ski area began.
2000 : A Bombardier BR400 groomer is purchased to ensure quality
snow conditions on a daily basis.
2001: The snow tubing park is developed and a new tube lift is
installed. Snowmaking is added in the tube park area.
2002 : A new 100ft carpet lift is installed on the Bunny Hill.
2004: A 2,000 sq. ft. chalet addition is constructed which triples
the size of our ski and snowboard rental shop. Also, construction begins on our
new hill, with the goal of adding nearly 75 ft of vertical to our hill.
2005: Earthmoving continues at a rapid pace, with thousands of
truckloads of fill brought it in to increase the vertical elevation of our hill.
2006: The south side of our new hill is completed, and a new wire
rope tow is installed. Snowmaking lines and hydrants are installed on the new hill,
which is now called the Porcupine. A new TechnoAlpin snowmaking fan gun is purchased
to improve snowmaking on the new hill.
2007: The north side of the new hill is completed, a new triple
chairlift is installed, new snowmaking lines and hydrants are installed. The old
Red TBar is removed and the runs on the northern half of the ski area are recontoured.
2008 :A 2006 Prinoth BR350 groomer with a specialized blade and
tiller to improve both main run and terrain park grooming was purchased, and an
additional TechnoAlpin automatic fan gun was purchased to improve snowmaking along
the main runs from the chairlift.
2009 : No major construction or additions for this winter.
2010: Five more TechnoAlpin automatic fan guns were purchased for
snowmaking. These guns make awesome snow which means all our major runs are open
faster and with more snow than ever before.